Legal Advice

Legal Advice

We can help you!


Starting work

Union Syndicale Parlement Européen (USPE) has experts who can explain the system, and ensure that its members are made aware of the rules in force in the European Parliament. In addition, in the event of a need to challenge a decision made or imminent, on request USPE is there to provide its members with advice, or to take up their case should an appeal be necessary through in-house procedures (under Article 90 of the Staff Regulations).

USPE helps its members find their way through the maze of procedures and committees to make sure that they are given full credit for their professional capacities; getting off on the right foot is vital in public service. USPE representatives on promotion committees, however, are scrupulously impartial in providing assistance and support to all those eligible for promotion, whether union members or not.

Professional training begins as soon as you start work. Information on training policy, and advice on available or recommended courses is clearly something you need right away. USPE can provide members with documentation, as well as specialist advice on the best options for career development, and how to find the kind of job you really want to do.

Probationary period is over, all went well and you have an excellent report. No? Then you need help. USPE is right there to assist its members at difficult times like these, which may even involve the threat of losing the job they worked so hard to get. Appeals exist, but of course you need to be aware of how to go about them.

USPE is there to help and advice those of its members who experience any problems with: working hours, overtime, computer systems, your office and equipment, health and safety of premises, including those housing the crèches, childcare facilities, canteens, etc. It will represent its members in dealings with the administration if necessary, keeping individuals’ names out of it if they prefer.


Individual Rights

You are entitled to receive compensations for having to change your place of living in order to be able to exercise your new professional duties (removal costs, installation allowance, daily subsistence allowance, etc.).

The administration determines your place of origin and entitlement to an expatriation allowance, which in turn affect your and your family’s entitlement to a range of other benefits.

The administration will also establish your personal circumstances, which affect payment of certain allowances: you are unmarried, head of household, married, divorced, separated, with dependents, school age children or other; all this information affects decisions made about you.

You should not wait too long before thinking about your retirement and old age pension, especially if you have acquired pension rights in other schemes. You have ten years to make up your mind to transfer them into the Community scheme. NB: Generally speaking, it is much more advantageous to transfer them as quickly as possible after the end of your probation, but it is much more difficult to determine that quickly whether the transfer is worthwhile in your case.

USPE is there to help its members in all of this with advice and information about all the complex issues dealt with in the plethora of implementing guidelines to the Staff Regulations.

USPE can also help with official applications, and lodging of complaints or appeals.


At Work

As your career progresses, changes will inevitably occur, both in your working life and in your private life and they can create serious and complex problems. Just to mention a few of the main ones: promotions and appointments, staff reports, access to jobs in management, open and in-house competitions, certification, equal opportunities, change in family circumstances (children completing their education), handicapped children, dependents, medical expenses claims, invalidity, pension rights, etc.

USPE continually makes the experience of its experts available to its members; it offers a wide range of services with professional help form lawyers, doctors, specialists in property matters.

Members of USPE can seek free advice on professional or private matters, from a lawyer with specialist knowledge of the Staff Regulations. If members need to appeal decisions made by the institutions, USPE may take on their case, subject to approval by its executive, and to certain conditions notified in advance (in accordance with our rules on legal defence).

In the event of a medical problem, especially in cases of disability or invalidity, members may be referred to a specialist. Mmembers may consult an expert from the office of one of Brussels’ leading notaries, for advice and help with the technical and legal aspects of buying or building a house in or around Brussels.

All of these services are, of course, provided in the strictest confidence.

If you would like to know more, please do not hesitate to ask. We would be happy to send you more information, or better still to set up a meeting.